Monday, June 30, 2008

Hit by a Bus






Yes, after a weekend of moving into McCallie and catching a red-eye to England, I do feel like I have been hit by a bus...but today I actually WAS hit by a bus: a beautiful, classic red Oxford bus that was minding its own business until a slightly groggy English teacher going for an afternoon run tried to dodge her way around the crowds and stepped for just a moment off the curb and right in front of it. I received a little love tap on my backside before resuming my stride, pausing for just a moment to turn around and give a thumbs-up and a smile to the bus driver, who looked a little concerned. It was just what I needed: a little nudge to keep going :-)

Otherwise, it's been a jolly fine first day in Oxford--brilliant, just brilliant! It is BEAUTIFUL here!! Oxford is a charming, picturesque town full of quaint storefronts and gorgeous stone buildings, people young and old riding bikes through the centre (like that spelling?) of town, and lots of nooks and crannies that are fun to explore. Just around the corner from Lincoln College is the covered market--a delectable maze of fresh fruit stands, bakeries, and even a huge smoothie shop. Uh oh, I'm in trouble...especially if the Oxford food continues to be this bad. I heard it was bad. It's pretty bad. What isn't bad are the people--it's been great to reunite with Ali Jean, Juliana, Lizzie, and Teri. Annie is due in any minute and Jessie arrives tomorrow. Hurray!

I have been excited about this Oxford experience for the past year...actually, for the past 5 years. I am pumped to take the famous Page to the Stage course and study who I consider to be the master of the English language: Shakespeare. I look forward to exploring the charm and culture of Oxford, and I can't wait for Clay, Mom, Dad, Brittany, and Jason to come share this experience with me. I hope this blog will provide not only an easy way for me to stay in touch with friends and family, but also a means by which I can record my observations and reflections of what I am reading and learning these next few weeks.

Orientation starts tomorrow morning, and classes begin Wednesday. I can't wait.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear that you are enthralled by Oxford so far!! Also happy to hear that the bus just "grazed" you!My heart stopped long enough for me to read that you are ok!

I know you are enjoying the reunion with your BL friends from previous summers. I can't wait to meet them!

And HURRAY for smoothies! I hope they are as good as you hope, esp with the food less than appealing over there!

I love the blog and look forward to more chapters as your time permits!

Love, Love,
Mom

Mary and Jamie said...

Awesome! Awesome! Awesome! Forget the books I bought, now I've got some real summer reading. Can't wait to read more -- and steal some Shakespeare knowledge for next year.

You rock! Have fun! Say hi to Oxford for me.

Mary