Sunday, March 29, 2009

Lessons from Camden

As I try to gear myself up for the return to school tomorrow, I somehow keep finding myself distracted from grading. Hmm...how does that happen? :-). One cutie I haven't been able to tear myself more than 5 feet away from since we returned from CA is Camden. As I said in my last post, its a little pathetic how much we missed him while we were gone. The thought of him being in a kennel didn't help. Our reunion on Thursday was a precious moment---I couldn't stop hugging Camden and he couldn't wriggle himself out of my arms fast enough so he could get out of there. Even since, though, Camden has been incredibly sweet and cuddly. He has wanted to be as close to me and Clay as possible, and he is especially content when the three of us are together. If we all go for a walk and one of us gets ahead for some reason, Camden goes crazy until we are all in line again. His actions seem to articulate what Clay and I have been feeling a lot lately--we might just have ourselves a little family here :-). Or...maybe Camden is just afraid we are headed to the kennel again!

At the risk of appearing even more obsessed with my dog, here are some lessons that Cam has been teaching me lately:

1. The most important thing is simply being there in person.
2. All we really need is basic food and water, but man, treats are worth getting excited about.
3. When all else fails, sleep.
4. Sometimes going for a walk is exactly what you need to clear your head and walk a little taller.
5. Be excited to see people, even if you have only been apart for a few hours.
6. Sometimes nothing is better than having your head rubbed.
7. Be happy. Life's too short.
8. Playing games brings people together.
9. Love people unconditionally. Dogs are THE BEST at this.
10. (See picture above). If you are having a particularly bad day, just go back to bed. It will be better tomorrow.

1 comment:

Kristen Gardner Photography said...

I'm so glad that Camden is teaching you some really important lessons about life. :) You're too adorable... I love reading about your life! Miss you.