Sunday, May 15, 2011

joyful noise.

Today I can say that I experienced hate.

A member of our church rushed up to us after the service today and said the following:

I think you all are a delightful couple, but I want you to know that I condemn you bringing your noisy son to the service. I am speaking on behalf of six other members sitting around me who were fuming throughout the entire service that you didn't take your son outside when he started making noise. I love you all, but I hope you will never bring him to church again. You have been coming to this church for a couple years now; you should know better.

I love you all, but I hope you will never bring him to church again.

Clay and I were too stunned to say anything. One moment we were joyfully celebrating being at church as a family, the next moment I was rushing out of the church in tears, clutching on to my beautiful, beautiful son.

This is EXACTLY the reason why young families don't come to church.

Clay was working in the dorm until 1:30 this morning only to get up and teach Sunday School. We put Will in the nursery (where yes, I left him once again SOBBING and reaching out to me) so that I could also attend Sunday School, so I refuse to leave him in Sunday School for yet another hour and a half while we go to church. Clay and I both work long days five days a week. The weekends are time for us to be a FAMILY. I refuse to go to a church where my family isn't welcome. And isn't Church supposed to be a place of LOVE? I am devastated.

One thing I have been grateful for this year is the love and support of our friends and family who have excitedly welcomed Will into their worlds too. Our friends who invite us over and say they would be hurt if we didn't bring Will--those are the friends we thank God for. Friends who ask about Will, who help us care for and clothe and feed Will--those are lifelong friends. Sure, life can get a little messy with a baby, but love is messy sometimes. And I bet I speak for many parents when I say that loving my child is the best way you can love me.

So thank you to my readers. You all have not only loved me through the good and the bad--you have also celebrated the life of my son. He's not perfect, but none of us are, and the more we create communities of love and inclusion and support and understanding, where children aren't just ignored but cherished, the better this world will be.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sara, that person is a hateful a-hole. Do not let that exchange change one single habit about your church-going ways. Bring Will, share with Will, enjoy everything with him right by your side. I hope you were able to refocus the day and remind yourself that you are a much better person than that meanie pants. Sending you lots of love from Cali. xoxo, Mary

Anonymous said...

I second what Mary said; especially the a-hole part. Your baby is a joy and they should be so lucky to have him grace them with his adorable presence. Some people are just unhappy.
Liz

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you need a new church!