Later, I came back on a school van to an empty school campus but a joyful little cabin in the woods. I tip-toed into Will's room to find Clay lovingly soothing him to sleep, and as I leaned over the edge of the crib, my little boy gave me that smile that connects us every time. No nap for Will this afternoon. He and I were too excited to hang out together.
And then tonight, after watching Will eagerly explore a playground and drink his evening bottle, I started reading A Thousand Gifts, a book one of my Chattanooga students gave me in June. The first chapter explores the emotions the author experienced after her younger sister was tragically killed at the age of two.
And once again, it all suddenly made sense. All day long, I kept feeling like I was DONE. I had written 18 final reports, graded my exams, attended the final awards presentation, and fulfilled my airport duty. Wolfeboro, it's been real, but I'm done working for now. I even finished grading all of my online class assignments at the airport today, so I was having a glorious exhale moment. It's August 10th, a date that for the past 7 years meant I was usually gearing up for a new school year, but I was instead enjoying the wonderful feeling of the first day of vacation. I probably won't "teach" again for at least another year, too--a weird feeling. It definitely felt like the end of a chapter.
But I go to bed tonight realizing that it is instead the BEGINNING. For the next 9 months, I get to focus on taking care of Will and our little family. The work to get to this point is now behind me; now begins the most important job I have been given thus far in my life: protecting and nurturing little Will. Today I took care of a camper I had never met before this morning. Tomorrow I get to focus on taking care of our greatest gift (Will). I don't deserve him, but I cherish him more than anything. And making sure he is healthy and safe and nurtured is going to demand my full attention. So bring on the next chapter. Like teaching, it may not always be easy, but investing in the nurturing of a life is pretty important work. I am excited to see what I learn.
2 comments:
Isn't it great to turn the page to the next chapter? That's what is the best about this thing called life! Most of all, I LOVE the book I am LIVING right now!!! Good luck and live on! That's for a great update!
great post! now, more adventure..I feel you with the not teaching thing and embracing the full-time mommy thing---it is just wierd to me, but I pray I make my transition smoothly and joyfully!
Post a Comment