Sunday, May 13, 2012


Mother's Day 2012

Moving boxes frame Will's bedroom and
Penske vans line 121st Street while parades
of light blue gowns astride their parents float
down Broadway off to New Yorkers' favorite
weekend meal: brunch. Mine's in a paper bag,
and it's Absolute delicious, a whole-wheat
everything bagel that my favorite baker handed
me fresh from the wall-sized oven in the back of
the dive off 108th. He smiled, looked down at my
sleeping beauty in the crimson City Mini, and
wished me a Happy Mother's Day. Yes, it is.


My little Will, almost two, joined me at the Wild West
playground in Central Park after church. Crumbs from
his favorite poppyseed muffin lingered until he slid down
the slide on his belly, one of his hundreds of mannerisms
that I have fallen in love with this year. We swung for a
hot minute, got the beautiful big yellow shovel yanked from
our hands in the sandbox, and bounced on a precarious wagon
until his eyelids drooped and he begged for his paci.
We strolled along Central Park West, the shaded side,
from 84th to 107th and enjoyed the feeling of
really living in this city. We did it. Together. We did it.


A week from now we will be in Chattanooga,
having celebrated a birthday and two graduations.
Camden will be in Louisville, finally free to roam. Home.
We will have dropped off the rental van, exchanged
the Pilot baby seat for a toddler one (when did he grow so?),
put the leftover cans of beans in the pantry, and probably
taken a bath or three. Life's about to look a lot different.


But today I am on the Upper West Side and I am happy.
Right now, this is home. The parks and the bagels and the
"Happy Mother's Day"s from no fewer than five strangers
on the street. It's a big city, one that is still mostly a mystery,
but somehow we have carved out a life here. I will miss
Tot Lot 110 with Maresa and Lisa, will miss studying
people on the subway, will miss Wednesday Mom's Group,
but I take lessons learned from all of it with me and I remain
grateful. This sweet boy, whose eyelids finally grew too heavy,
the loyal beagle who waits excitedly at home for our return,
and the man of integrity who gave all this and more to me
are what I can't live without. They are my home.

So as I munch on my bagel and soak up Broadway
one more time, I say a silent word of thanks
to the smiling strangers, the angel of a boy who
made me a mother, and the homeless man on our
own corner, 121st and Broadway, who asked me for
"anything," and despite receiving nothing in return,
called me beautiful and wished me, yet again,
a Happy Mother's Day. I turned the corner, heading home,
and then turned around. And because it was true,
I told the man with the frayed shoes and piercing blue eyes
that he was beautiful too. I didn't have much on me,
but I gave him what I had because I. simply. have. too. much.

3 comments:

Ellen said...

Just beautiful!!!! Happy Mothers Day!!- your words tugged my heartstrings....as a friend of yours responded to an earlier post- you should write a book!!! Many of us have loved sharing your life in the Big Apple- thank you! Now another chapter awaits!!! Safe travels! Love, Ellen

Heloise said...

just one word:

Beautiful

Living Leffew! said...

I'm in tears!!!Loved this post! You are beautiful. Thank God for your year in the city and welcome home!!!

xoxo