Thursday, September 18, 2008

Time


So its exactly midnight here in Chattavegas, and Clay is on duty in the dorm. Darling Camden is asleep right next to me; I can hear his steady breathing. I am tired, but I have had one of those days in which some things become so clear to me, one of those days when life is put in perspective. Lately, I feel like I haven't had time to breathe, that I have literally been running from one class to the next to practice to Camden to work to emails...and in the process, I have been so self-absorbed. I have become almost obsessive about crossing off things on my to-do list and playing games with myself to see how much I can get done in one day...so I am grateful for moments when I am struck to stop and look around me. Here are some of the things I saw just today:


1. An email from my mom. So faithful. So loving.

2. 3 students, whom I grew very close with last year, leaving me a little note on my desk with a cinnamon crunch bagel while I was at English Dept. meeting. I don't even teach them anymore. It's not about me--it's about how thoughtful and caring they are. Seeing them makes me smile every day.

3. Cy, Gilly, Nathan, and Chloe (4 little children in our dorm) playing with Camden and squealing with delight. Camden LOVED them, too. Beautiful, young creatures, playing and laughing. So refreshing.

4. A freshman runner on the CC team crying for her teammate who just found out that she has a stress fracture and will be out for the rest of the season. I love our team.

5. Visiting a friend's blog page only to be reminded that it is her daughter's 1st birthday today. My, how time flies.

I was also reminded of the hardships that many people face, often quietly and gracefully, that I need to be more mindful of and generous towards...in short, in the midst of my running running running, I am thankful for the beautiful moments that force themselves upon me as if to say "hey! this is important, too! don't miss it." And while it may sound cheesy, having Camden is a daily reminder that these moments exist and should be cherished instead of overlooked. Our nightly walks provide me with the perfect time to think, to reflect, and to be aware of what is going on around me, both near and far. And as much as I love running, I am glad there are moments in life that cause us to stop still and smile.

No comments: