Sunday, October 19, 2008

Livin' for the weekend!




The week that grades and comments are due usually isn't much fun. You buckle down, gear up, and basically accept the fact that you won't be doing much else besides grade, write, and teach for close to five days straight. But....the weekend AFTER grades and comments are due is always GLORIOUS. The "to-be graded" files are empty, the lesson plans are usually in place, and the bed never looked so good.


Unfortunately, Clay and I celebrated in two different places on Friday night. He travelled to Knoxville to cheer on the Varsity team (they won! they are going to the playoffs!) and I got together with a dear new friend, Kat--who just closed on her first house an hour before we met. We had some celebrating to do. After some yummy margaritas, sangria, and enchiladas at Taco Mamacitas, a new restaurant in town, we headed over to her new home on the South Side. I brought along a little champagne to toast her new house, but before we could enjoy it, we saw that every light on her house was on...and the door was wide open...and there was a house key sitting on the front counter in plain sight. Uh-oh. After freaking out and then gathering out wits, we headed into the adorable little yellow house only to find...the adorable inside of an adorable little yellow house. All was good. And by the time I got home, I hit the bed hard.
Ashley and I had another fantastic 70 minute run together Saturday morning--only 3 weeks until the half-marathon. We're excited. Then Clay and I finally got the chance to relax together, enjoying a little time in the gym, yummy smoothies, a few errands, and a nap. Again, glorious. We capped off the evening on Lookout Mountain at our friend's Nick's birthday party.
Sunday morning ushered in another good Sunday School class. We aren't getting the highest attendance count ever, but the people coming are solid and thoughtful and nice, so we are enjoying it. We hope they are, too. The story for this morning was Raymond Carver's sad "A Small Good Thing." Powerful story, but man, it's a tear-jerker. After church with Kat and Nate, we headed home and took Camden for a long, fun walk. He gets cuter and cuter every day. We might also be a little biased :-).
Tonight we made our favorite chicken noodle soup, watched the end of Sicko (makes you really want to know for sure the two candidates' stances on HealthCare--wow), and did some school work. It's been a treat of a weekend--and it feels so good to go into another week of teaching and coaching rested.
Happy weeks to you all!




No comments: