Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Ahhh Summer

No laptop + no motivation = no new blog posts since early June. I am so sorry! I honestly just haven't even wanted to look at a computer in a month! I know most people aren't afforded that luxury, but as this was my first summer since I started teaching that I haven't been in grad school and thus writing away my summer, I guess I decided to ignore the computer altogether! Yikes! But we are back and hopefully I can stay on top of things a bit better now that I have thoroughly enjoyed my month-long hiatus from the keyboard :-)

So what have we been doing? Hmm...we haven't been taking many pictures (I have been so lazy, haven't I?), but here are some from the beginning of the summer! I bet you can tell what we did for at least one week!
We loved riding our bikes around Hilton Head!
I just had to stop to take this guy's picture--someone did a heck of a job!
Cute Mom
Hooray for Brittany taking time off work to come down for a few days! She is a ROCKSTAR.
Our attempt at taking this year's Christmas Card picture in June.
I think I am going to veto this one.

Rather than writing down long descriptions of what has been happening since school blissfully let out in June, here's a quick top ten (I am still in vacation mode, remember?)

10. I tore my bicep trying to do one of Clay's workouts with him. I am not joking. I am clearly not cut out for Crossfit (to check out the insanity that he calls his workouts, click here)
9. Camden turned 1!!! Oh my gosh, he is the cutest dog ever.
8. I have been reading as much as possible. I LOVED Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver (great rec, Blair)--the recipes are really yummy too!. I also flew through American Wife by Curtis Sittenfeld and am almost done with my favorite read of the summer so far, The Story of Edgar Sawtelle. A beautifully written book totally influenced by Hamlet.
7. Clay and I celebrated two years! I love him more than ever. We jumped off the tower at the McC lake ("taking the plunge") before enjoying an incredibly yummy vegetable soup and fresh bread :-)
6. Clay is currently in the middle of his second week of soccer camp and is constantly going from their 6:30 a.m. football workouts to his last soccer scrimmage at 8:30. He's a stud. I am currently in the middle of my third week of camp at my school, which leads to #5.
5. I had to tell an 8 year-old today that a.) punching another camper repeatedly is NOT okay and b.) sticking your head in the toilet and then flushing it is not an activity we endorse. Wow. These girls make me laugh and smile constantly, but man, am I sleeping well at night!
4. Exercise exercise exercise. It feels so good to be healthy, to sleep well at night, to have time to stretch and push our bodies and enjoy the highs of fitness. Football and cross country team workouts have already started (6:30 am for Clay, 7 am for Sara) and before we know it, the seasons will be in full swing...but its still summer and we are definitely not wishing it away!
2.5. Hilton Head with my family was super fun and relaxing. Riding bikes, reading in the pool, playing in the ocean, making dinners at night, going putt-putting...thanks for a great vacation, Mom and Dad!
2.5 We loved seeing all of Clay's family (except for John--but we will see him soon!) at Rachel and Joe's wedding in Birmingham on June 20. What a fun event! And seeing Ali and Fritz and meeting Bill were definitely highlights of our summer as well. They are dear, dear friends.
1. Sleeping, eating, watching lots of fun tv (umm, the Federer-Roddick match was insane), going on long walks with the Camdawg, reading, playing tennis, and enjoying our first summer together not at BreadLoaf. Do we miss the mountains of Vermont? Definitely. Do I miss the live Shakespeare in England? Definitely. Do we miss our friends in the program. Hell ya. Do we miss the reading? Sometimes. Do we miss the papers. Hahahahaha. We don't miss the papers at all.

Life is great down in Chattavegas--and we always love visitors!

No comments: