So...without further ado, here's my reading list for the year (in no particular order). Will it expand? It is every day :-). But I am off to a great start, thanks to the wise responses of dear friends and family!
- The Life You Save May Be Your Own by Paul Elie (recommended by my father-in-law and pastor extraordinaire Pat Gahan)
- Redeeming Love by Francine Rivers (TWO people recommended this one: my sweet college friend Shannon and and my dear GPS friend Kim)
- All the King’s Men by Robert Penn Warren (friend and GPS English Dept. Chair Katy Berotti)
- Rebecca by Daphne DeMaurier (longtime family friend Beth Williamson)
- My Own Country by Abraham Verghese (dear GPS friend and prolific reader Deanna)
- Let the Great World Spin by Colum McCann (Deanna)
- Year of Wonders by Geraldine Brooks (Deanna)
- To Serve The All of My Days by R.F. Delderfield (U.S. History teacher and dear friend Ted)
- Guns, Germs, and Steel by Jared Diamond (Ted)
- Not So Quiet by Helen Zenna Smith (Ted)
- The Crying Tree by Naseem Rakha (amazing person, friend, and librarian Katie)
- Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand (Katie)
- Bossypants by Tina Fey (my dear friend and running partner Ashley)
- The Magician’s Nephew by C.S. Lewis (former neighbor and awesome English professor Sara)
- Strange as This Weather Has Been by Ann Pancake (Sara)
- Keeper by Kathi Appelt (Sara)
- The Best Advice I Ever Got by Katie Couric (Mom. She's wonderful.)
- Absalom, Absalom! by William Faulkner (Almost-Dr. Adele. She is going to save the world. I have read this one, but it deserves re-reading)
- Vanity Fair by William Makepeace Thackeray (best husband ever Clay)
- The Last Temptation of Christ by Nikos Kazantzakis (Clay)
- The Dirty Life by Kristin Kimball (me :-))
- One Amazing Thing by Chitra Divakuruni (me)
- Sarah’s Key by Tatianade Rosnay (me)
Thanks to everyone who responded, many of whom offered inspiring titles I have already read and thus not listed here. Any other titles that I could add? I am hungry for good books! xoxo
6 comments:
Unbroken is very good and the magicians nephew I LOVE. The whole narnia series I like. Also the Harry potter series is really good ;) hope y'all are well!
So many excellent suggestions, Sara! Some that I have read...many I have not. Reading "Unbroken" now for my book club- so well written...so hard and difficult to read...the human spirit is indescribable!!! Some suggestions from my book group this year...and years past.. "The Greater Journey" ( anything by David McCullough is wonderful!! )"The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks"- something that has touched us all... "Room"... "Cutting For Stone"...."The Boy Who Harnessed the Wind".."Mark Twain: Man in White"...The Birth of Venus ( Sarah Dunant- one of my favorites) .cannot figure out how to underline these titles as I should... anyway..most importantly - enjoy your time to read for yourself this year!!!! Ellen
I can't wait for the reviews! Then I will have to start reading from "Sara's List." Be well and keep reading! It's almost Labor Day!!! xoxo
Hey you!!!
I have read Sarah's Key and LOVED it. I also just finished Bossypants you will fly through that on, super quick read and very funny. Someone mentioned Room by Emma Donoghue, I read that earlier this summer and really enjoyed it, especially because it is told from the perspective of a 5 year old. I have been meaning to right a post about what I have read and what I want to read...I think you just inspired me :)
These are all added to THE LIST--thanks, friends!!!
I loved The Art of Racing in the Rain, and if you haven't read The Book Thief...get on that, ASAP. I love this list and will return to it--I am always overwhelmed by having to choose new books. You are your friends did the hard work for me. Thanks! xo
Post a Comment