1. My birthday rocked because Ashley Nichols surprised me and took me out to dinner! One of my best friends and my longtime running partner, Ashley had been in conversation with Clay for over a month about her trip to the city on my birthday. I was SHOCKED when I came home from tutoring on Wednesday night to find her in our apartment. She MADE my birthday.
2. Everyone deserves to have a special birthday. I don't always do a good job remembering and celebrating people's birthdays, but I am determined this year to do better. Everyone gets just one birthday a year--no matter who you are, you should feel special and loved on your birthday.3. I felt special and loved on mine, and for that, I am beyond grateful to my family and friends.
4. Care packages from your parents never get old. In fact, opening a care package full of M&M's, Wheat Thins, articles from the local paper, and a sweet card might be one the best things ever.
5. 2 glasses of wine made me tipsy. I am definitely old.
6. Will will forever be the greatest gift I have ever been given.
7. I miss my family on my birthday. Every year.
8. Toys R Us and FAO Schwarz are amazing toy stores, but they don't have nearly as much play space as they could...in fact, they are a bit of a nightmare with a fast-moving toddler.
9. My best friend Blaire met us in the city today (she is awesome) and we found our way into Central Park. Will found his way into a fountain. I then had a half-naked boy in NYC for over 2 hours.
10. Walking home from 59th St. to 121st St. during the start of Will's usual nap time wasn't my brightest idea. Especially when he is hungry, tired, and half naked. There have been lots of glorious, glamorous moments for us so far in NYC. That wasn't one of them. As I walked--quickly--home, all I could think about was how I STILL didn't have this parenting thing down yet.
11. I wonder if I will ever have this parenting thing down. I doubt it.
12. Doing anything with a toddler is tricky, often impossible. Sure, doing something he enjoys is great, but trying to get something else done, especially in public, is HARD. Trying to grocery shop in a tight market on Broadway? HARD. Trying to pick out a few books at the library? HARD. Trying to talk to a dear friend about serious stuff? Really hard. It's frustrating sometimes. Sure, he is clearly my priority and my joy, but I have to admit I get tired of apologizing to people because I can't concentrate long enough on them to get anywhere worthwhile. Friends understand, but still, I want to show them that what they say matters to me.
13. Navigating a relationship with Clay's ex-girlfriend who lives upstairs is tricky.
14. I am currently working four part-time jobs (tutoring, tutoring, online teaching, online editing). This helps our financial situation tremendously--and it also helps me feel professional.
15. I eat way too many M&M's every day.
16. Whole wheat everything bagels are my newest obsession. Will loves them too.
17. I am currently reading three books: Rebecca, Making Toast, and The Best Advice I Ever Got. Love all three, but Making Toast is a real page-turner.
18. I miss yoga.
19. I fall even more in love with my son the older he gets. Even though I miss my job and my colleagues, I feel so lucky to wake up every day and not have to leave him.
20. Everyone deserves to sleep on soft, comfortable sheets at night. We aren't right now, but I think part of my first tutoring check might need to be dedicated to such a purchase.
21. Freshdirect.com is pretty amazing.
22. We are trying to find a church here in the city, but it is a bit overwhelming. Nothing close by to us, so church will probably involve a subway ride, which is fine, but Will doesn't love the subway yet (and I admit it: I don't love taking him on the subway. I am fine by myself, but taking Will makes me so nervous for some reason), so we aren't sure how to navigate this part of our family's life.
23. Will woke up crying hysterically tonight for some reason, and Clay is gone for the weekend with his buddies. I know it won't make Will feel any better, but I think Cam and I are going to sleep in Will's room tonight. It will at least make me feel better :-).
24. Will finally loves taking baths again. Holla!
25. Camden has adjusted remarkably well to NYC. Other that the fact that he wants to sleep in between me and Clay at night, he is a great dog--super patient, loyal, and loving.
26. We hosted our first potluck last weekend--three other couples, three other toddlers. It was happy chaos. Other than the fact that we couldn't all fit in the same room, it went well! We are slowly getting to know a few of our neighbors, especially the other families in Clay's program, and they all have such interesting, impressive stories! That is one thing I love about NYC--it is so diverse, rich in terms of culture and customs, and open to a variety of people and backgrounds.
27. I got lost only once this week. I'm making progress.
28. My mom sent me my horoscope on Wednesday. I thought it was pretty spot-on (with the exception of the genteel manners part--the wrath of Hume came out once this week on the phone, and I felt badly about it afterwards, but the situation was getting ridiculous):
"You have such a lovely way of putting things. Your genteel manners will endear you to others and attract social and professional opportunities, as well. You'll bounce between exciting worlds through the end of the year. 2012 has a more settled-in feeling. You'll add people to your inner circle. Invest in January and July. Lucky numbers are 5, 21, 24, 3 and 17." |
30. Happy birthday on Sunday to my WONDERFUL father-in-law, Papa G!
31. These past 31 years have been full of laughter, treats, surprises, and unbelievable love. Here's hoping I use the next 31 to give away at least as much as I have been given. Goodnight!
1 comment:
That was the most fun birthday surprise...ever. Love your horescope--think there's a LOT of truth to that one! I'm proud of you for only getting lost once in the City--I'm still getting lost in Chattanooga. You are actually a REALLY good birthday specialist...and anniversary rememberer, etc. So I'll have to disagree on your comment about that one. Your patience and strength amaze me more and more as this year passes. HAPPY HAPPY BIRTHDAY my dear friend!
Post a Comment