Thursday, December 1, 2011

Who needs sleep?

I swear I have wanted to blog about a million and one things in the past week: our trip to the Botanical Gardens, our Thanksgiving dinner with new friends, our playdates in the parks since the weather has been so nice (y'all are chomping at the bit to hear about all this, I know)...

But life this past week has been slightly INSANE.

So before I actually lose my mind and thus won't be able to write about any of it, I thought I would document some of our happenings:

* Last weekend, Clay was sick.

* He's tough, but it was our first break of the school year, and we could both use some rest. Oh well...I devour Unbroken when we are low-key. Best book I have read in a long, long time. I LOVED it. Go read it. Really. It's unbelievable. If I had more time, I would write more about it. Maybe one day.

* Running workouts have stunk this week as I haven't been able to get significant ones in. So on Tuesday, Will and I decide we will run to Trader Joe's (50 blocks away), grocery shop, and then run back. Get a run in, save $4.50 on subway money, get Will some fresh air...I check the weather channel to find that rain won't begin until "at least 3 p.m." Will and I buy $90 worth of groceries (at TJ's, that's a lot of groceries, mind you), rearrange them all on the stroller or in my hands, and head back to Riverside Park to run home. That's when the skies decide to open up and POUR the rest of the way home, getting me and most of the groceries soaking wet. Luckily I had the rain cover for the stroller, so Will was fine, but man, I was cursing the weather channel.

*Babysat for three toddlers on Tuesday night. I needed a drink when Clay got home.

* Then Will caught a virus that started innocently enough but soon had us crying for mercy as his temp rose to 103 degrees and he refused both sleep and food for 48 hours and counting (it's 10: 30 here and he JUST went down...here's hoping we get at least a couple hours in a row tonight).

* Called the grandparents. Thank God for grandparents. They told us to call the doctor.

* Called the doctor. Went immediately. Diagnosis: virus. Keep on keeping' on, he said. Just don't give him alcohol. Thanks, Doc. Point noted. But can I have some?

* In the midst of this, an opportunity comes out of left field for me to edit someone's manuscript by the end of the week. Do I accept? Of course. Why? Because I am a glutton for punishment.

* Meanwhile, I get an email from the CEO of the new business whose website I am writing content for. She's in China, but she needs the content for the site done by the end of the week. I know all about green building materials, right?

* STILL meanwhile, the student I am tutoring has THE biggest assignment/presentation of the year due, so I am putting in extra time with him to help it come together. His mom has been a judge of this competition for the past five years, so the pressure's on...

* Did I mention that Clay and I have both been applying for jobs and signing up with three educational search agencies and filling out a million forms about where we want to live (somewhere), what job would be ideal (one that pays), and what teaching means to us (I mean, where do I start?)

* I also set a deadline of Dec. 1 for me to order Xmas cards since not many people know our current address and I LOVE getting Christmas cards in the mail and hope hope hope some people will notice our new address on our envelopes and send them along to the right place...

* But ordering Christmas cards means sorting through a million pictures, critiquing how I look in all of them, editing them, and then organizing them. Of course. I can't do things easily, no.

* Since Will was sick, I missed the mom's group this past Wednesday, but I had signed up to bring bagels for snack, so I strapped Will in, ran to the bakery, ran to the mom's group, and ran home. Hope the bagels were good.

* My new online course started yesterday. 15 new students, all sending me emails yesterday. I stopped checking my email.

BUT it IS December first, and that means I get to open the first day of the chocolate advent calendar. The day ends on a sweet note!

So now I am on page 64 of this 112 page manuscript and am hoping to finish it tonight--if I don't fall asleep on the computer from a lack of sleep or from the glass of wine I am nursing. Cheers!

Update: 11:16: Will is crying. And you know the ONLY thought in my mind right now? I am so in love with him and can't wait to go in there and wrap my arms around him again. And I am so in love with his Daddy, too. Life is full--and for that, I am SO, SO blessed. Good night all. I'm off to comfort my angel.

3 comments:

Ashley Nichols said...

Hang in there!!!!

Deanna said...

You guys will definitely be getting a Christmas card from us. :) I hope Will gets better (and sleepy) soon.
xoxo!

ira walldorf & family said...

Hey friend! So good to see your precious faces. Miss you all here in Chattanooga... would love your address when you get a chance... perhaps a facebook email. Hope you get some good rest soon! Lots of love, Eda