And isn't it even better when it comes out of NOWHERE? :-)
So I have been crushing on something for a week now. I have read all about it online, looked at lots of pictures of it, compared prices, and even dreamed about it one night (not kidding). But it was too expensive and too luxurious for me to even consider placing it in my cute little Amazon shopping cart.
Tory Burch flats? nope.
12 packages of LifeSaver gummis? not even close.
That awesome emerald green messenger bag? try again.
It's a car seat. And it's awesome.
And it's totally out of my price range.
And while I know the differences between a $100 car seat and a $200 car seat might be minuscule, there is a part of me that can't ignore the higher safety rating or the amazing mom reviews that compare the two seats I am considering and highly endorse the more expensive model. And then I look at my beautiful son and try to tune out the news reporting on the latest car accident on the NJ Turnpike and end up closing the computer because morally I can't justify buying the cheaper one but financially I can't justify buying the pricier one. I've got time before we need to make a decision, I tell myself. And then I go play with Will and hug him extra tight and know that money will never be able to buy what matters most to me.
And then last Friday, Good Friday, Will and I were underneath 116th St. in the subway station when I heard my phone ding. An email from Amazon. Someone dear to me had sent me a $100 gift card out of the blue. I about cried. On a day that is all about selfless sacrifice because of overwhelming love, I had once again been reminded that giving is living, that God will provide, that grace is very real and very powerful in my life, especially this year.
But then I started to think about all the other uses for that gift card, most especially that our Will needs new clothes now that our little guy isn't so little any more.
Since then, we have received two packages, one from each of our parents, full of clothes and treats for Will. And once again, I am overwhelmed with the sacrificial, overwhelming, generous love that parents have for their children. Because as we all know, you give a gift to a child and you are really giving that gift to the entire family. Nothing makes me happier than seeing Will happy and warm and loved...
...and safe.
So tonight I ordered that car seat. The more highly-reviewed one. And while I know Will will never appreciate it (and actually might hate it after 12 hours in it on our way from NYC to KY), I have no doubt that when I look back at him in it for days and months to come, I will be visualizing him in the arms of our parents and my special friend who helped make my shopping crush a reality.
Happy Easter from NYC!
No comments:
Post a Comment