Monday, December 2, 2013

Moments.


Due Date

This is going to change you, she said,
and I wept because I didn't want to be changed.
No, I wanted to bring a life into this world, 
but I didn't want to be changed. 
I clearly have a lot to learn.
Humbled, I retreat to live my way into the not knowing,
into the picture that suddenly is a blank canvas,
into the church hymn that winds its way
around unopened baby gifts and three day old mail.
And then he grabs my hand.
Mama, dance with me.
We twirl and laugh and, for a time, ignore the darkness 
until the music stops and he wanders to the window.
He is silent for a moment
and then turns and comes back to me.
Mama, when it gets dark in my room, the stars come out.

There it is.
Life right in front of me.

No comments: