
Ok, I won't write a long one here because I don't want to be overly political, but man, after yesterday and today, I can't help but respond. I have so much faith in America today. Faith in Obama, yes, but also tremendous faith in the goodness and hope and vision and potential for all Americans to achieve their worthy dreams and create a future for our children that is solid and bright and empowering. I have been teaching rhetoric and poetry lately, so the inauguration festivities fit perfectly into my lesson plans--and after watching the ceremonies today, my students and I looked more closely at Obama's speech and Elizabeth Alexander's poem, as well as the 3 (4 if you count "Dedication") previous inaugural poems. Something about studying just a couple elements of this historic day and these traditions makes me a bit sentimental--and proud. We are lucky to live in this fine country.
As I begin to study "Gratitude," the theme for our Sunday School class this week, I can't help feeling today an immense amount of gratitude for all of the people, past and present, who have brought us to this historic, exciting day. There certainly is work to be done--and I am excited to do it!
1 comment:
You need to check out the NYTimes for some study on politcal rhetoric. They have graphic representations of the most popular words each president used. So cool My kids love it. Love how much you love Oprah. You have to meet my girlfriend Krista; she might be O's biggest fan. =-) Hope to see you in March. Yippie
Post a Comment