"I wish for those I love this new year an opportunity to earn sufficiently, to have that which they need for their own and to give that which they desire to others, ot bring into the lives of those about them some measure of joy, to know the satisfaction of work well done,
of recreation earned and therefore savored, to end the year a little wiser,
a little kinder and therefore a little happier."
~ Eleanor Roosevelt
You would think that working at a gym for several years in high school would turn me off of new year's resolutions, but there is something about the start of a new year and time to reflect that always makes me excited to consider the possibilities for a new year. As a person who loves to write lists and set goals, resolutions are right up my alley.
Every year I outline just a couple key goals for the year. Last year's included running a marathon, starting a blog, and immersing myself in as much Shakespeare as possible when in Oxford finishing my degree. 2008 was a great, great year. We moved into the dorm, Clay and I traveled abroad for the first time, we got Camden :-)...great stuff. But I have noticed that I was constantly in a state of movement, of trying to do 10 things at once. I think I actually like life that way, but one significant activity kept being pushed to the side: reading. As an English teacher, I need to read. And aside from the 11 Shakespeare plays I read this summer at school, I haven't been reading thoughtfully or regularly. I even dropped out of my book club because I was embarrassed at how little I was reading. So after some thought and several lists, here are my goals for 2009:
1. 2009 is the year of the BOOK. There are probably hundreds of books on our bookshelves that I yet to read. I am focusing on them. I want to read the books we already own and that promise numerous lessons within their pages. I'll keep you updated.
2. 2009 is the year of FINANCIAL SAVVY. I already am a bit obsessed with this, but I want to push myself to find new ways of saving and spending wisely and intentionally.
3. As always, I want to write more letters.
That's it! I have a feeling these will keep me pretty busy. If you are making resolutions, I would love to hear what they are! HAPPY NEW YEAR!!
No comments:
Post a Comment