Friday, January 16, 2009

A New Respect for Single Parents


I don't know how they do it. Wow. Clay has been out of town since Wednesday at a soccer conference in St. Louis (where is it seriously 0 degrees--yowzers!), so I have been on Cam-dawg duty. Who knew a beagle puppy could be so high maintenance--and such a comforting companion. Here he is looking for Clay out our living room window :-). We both miss Clay. It is just not nearly as much fun without him!

After a Wednesday night filled with chasing Camden around the dining room table after yet another shoe or trying to get him off of the couch for the fiftieth time, I decided Thursday that I would skip exercise and spend some quality time with our puppy instead. Maybe it was Marley and Me that reminded me of what gifts our pets are in our lives. So I came home to a sweet Camden who had been cooped up all day, took him on a long (and frigid! Brr!) walk around campus, and then loaded him in the car for a field trip. Yup, we were off to Aunt Sue's K-9 Bakery. He flipped he loved it so much. One half of the store is literally a kitchen in which "Aunt Sue" bakes treats for dogs all day--and Camden definitely got his fill that afternoon. After selecting a bag of homemade goodies and a new bone, we were off to visit his vet for some new food and then home for more play time. What a difference it made that night. He was an angel, so happy and eager to curl up with me as I worked and read in our quiet apartment. I know most people love their dogs and think they are the best (as they should), but man, the past few days make me wonder if we didn't totally luck out by somehow bringing home the cutest, sweetest dog alive.

Clay comes home tomorrow night, and we can't wait. It's amazing how long 5 days can feel when you are used to seeing your love every night. But he is having a good time with the thousands of other high school soccer coaches at this conference and learning more about the game, so it was a good one for him to attend.

Tonight I head back to school for a lock-in with the 10th graders from 9 p.m. to 8 a.m., so Camden will hopefully hang tight and not bark too much without the two of us for 11 hours (sweet Ashley is checking in on him, so he's not totally being abandoned!). It will be a night full of Dance!Dance!Revolution, Guitar Hero, movies, relay races, ice cream, board games, and swimming. The girls are adorable and fun, and the three other chaperones are also fantastic, so it should be a lot of fun. It's just too frickin' cold for Ashley and I to do our usual Saturday morning run together tomorrow, so we will be P90X-ing it instead on the big screen TV in her dorm. Awesome! A little more baking (I am making granola bars like it is my job), perhaps a bit more of a workout at the Sports Barn, and some quality time planning for classes and reading on the couch tomorrow is my plan until Clay comes home. And then, life will be better once again.

Happy weekend, everyone!

No comments: