
This past weekend, Clay and I enjoyed some glorious downtime, so I read and read and read. Finally finished
The Power of One. The story of Peekay and his journey to understanding and a true sense of identity was enjoyable, but I honestly didn't get why two of my closest Bread Loaf friends said it was their favorite novel of all time. It was 540 pages of the both beauty and difficulty of human interaction--and the story of a young boy's dream to become the welterweight (boxing) champion of the world in the midst of a world of adults who both inspired him and tried to redirect this dream. What's kinda funny is that Camden got ahold of my copy of the book and tore out the last two pages...I was disappointed at first, but honestly, by the time I got to those missing pages, I was actually kind of relieved that I was done!

I then moved on to a fast read:
The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society. This is GPS's faculty book club choice for the spring. It is the story of a columnist who publishes her first collection of columns about WWII--and this leads her to discover an undercover book club on a remote island named Guernsey in which the members meet at first to enjoy banned treats during the war--and bring books as their "cover." Before long, though, they actually start reading and enjoying these books, and then together they reach out to the English columnist narrator who desperately needs a reminder why people write in the first place. I finished it quickly--the letter format of the novel makes it fly by. I recommend it if you are looking for a relaxing, thoughtful story!
No comments:
Post a Comment