I don't know what to make of it, but lately I have been craving discipline and focus in my life. I find myself thinking of goals--financial, intellectual, athletic, nutritional--all the time. Anyways, one of my goals is save enough money so that we can buy a new car. Whether we can afford the black Honda Pilot I have been crushing on remains to be seen, but regardless, my Honda Accord is 12 years old, 130,000 miles in, and a bit bruised and battered. It still runs like a dream, so we are in no rush, but eventually we will need (and yes, I confess, want) to get a car that is a little more...new.
Our goal was to try to be in a place where a new car was possible by the end of the summer. Regardless of whether or not it happened, I like having something in my mind to save for. However, between taxes and some unanticipated dental work (not to mention the tough market right now), what we had saved for the car was quickly redirected. Bummer, but hey, life happens. I just kept telling myself that I would try to be financially savvy and look for ways to save when I could--you know, do the best we can.
One such option was presented to me just yesterday. The head of our IT department visited my classroom to inform me that the school had overlooked the leasing option for my laptop and thus I would need to pay for the computer in full now or start a significant payment plan--or I could turn in my laptop, get a desktop instead, and owe nothing. Ok, Sara, its time to put your money where your mouth is. I say goodbye to my laptop next week. But I am saving $35/month for the next four years. I don't know exactly why, but that decision felt really good.
1 comment:
Go down to one car. You can do it! We've been a one car (and one scooter) family since 2005. Lowers a lot of costs and is more environmentally friendly. Tough choice on the laptop, but a good one to make. Nice work! Just think about that $35 growing over 4 years. New car here you come! See you soon. hugs.
Post a Comment