Wednesday, December 2, 2009

13 weeks

So I could try to go back and catalogue everything that has led us up to this point, but I would rather just apologize for taking some time off from the beloved blog and then pick right back up today, Dec. 2. So here we go!!

I am 13.5 weeks along today, 4 days from officially being in the 2nd trimester. Hallelujah. I am so grateful that we are pretty much "safe" in terms of the chance of miscarriage. I heard the baby's heartbeat a week ago today, and it was one of the most magical sounds I have ever heard. That and Clay's "I do" are my top 2--both changed my life from that moment forward. And I thank God for both.

Right now, "Clara" (Clay + Sara) weighs about an ounce, is the size of a medium shrimp (babycenter.com's description) or a peach (What to Expect When You Are Expecting's description), and not only has fingers and toes but also has fingerprints. She can curl her toes, making sucking noices with her mouth, and move around at her leisure--and move around she does! I haven't felt anything yet, but at both 8 and 12 weeks, our doctor told us that our baby was very active in the womb! We've got an athlete on our hands!

I am starting to feel much better, too. I honestly just didn't feel like myself for the past 8 weeks. I was constantly uninterested in the sight of food, but as soon as I ate, I always felt much better--so I was eating literally every 2 hours. I craved pizza and cheddar Goldfish and SunChips (??) and salad couldn't look less appealing. I was also really tired all the time, often falling asleep not long after dinner. Now I have worked out the diet kinks a bit more and feel much more energized, although my workouts aren't nearly as hard and intense as they were before. But that's okay--I am so amazed that my body is creating a new life that I have such a new respect for it. I am not worrying about my fitness level or endurance at this point. Instead, I am thinking about Clara. For some miraculous reason, Clay and I were entrusted with this little one, and I am not about to take her for granted. I am eager to experience the process of creating new life, loving her long before I ever meet her. She is already at the top of our priority list, and if I have learned anything from the incredible parents around us, I have a feeling this is where she will stay. Welcome to our sweet little family, Clara. We can't wait to meet you.

2 comments:

Ellen Robertson said...

We are so very excited for all 3 of you!!!!!! So glad you are feeling better and have started writing again- I have missed reading your creative and newsy posts! Little Clara is one lucky baby-on-the-way!!! All the very best! Love, Ellen

Unknown said...

Yay!!!! So glad the blog is back with a whole new focus. So excited about this baby and to read the adventures along the way!
Love to you both,
Blair