Monday, December 13, 2010

Thoughts on Education: Stress and the High School Student

The title of my blog suggests I write about topics like teaching and cooking, but let's get real: this space has turned into a glorified photo gallery of our life with sweet Will. I am thrilled I have been semi-able to keep this blog semi-current with pictures, but I have also been yearning for a space where I can record random thoughts on education. I don't believe I have anything profound to share. There are many, many people who have loads more experience and insight than I. Rather, I want to make sure I record what I am thinking and feeling as I continue this adventure commonly known as teaching.

Today's snow day afforded me an opportunity to read the "Room For Debate" forum in today's NYTimes about stress and the high school student. It led me to think about what I know for sure about education in America--at least in my experience:

1. Everyone says it because it's true: the number one factor when it comes to student success is the quality of the student's teacher. My mom knew this 20 years ago. She researched the teachers I might have the following year and got involved enough in the school to help me get in the best teacher's classroom. I am convinced her work played a huge role in why I love learning and school today. Teachers matter.

2. Good teachers work hard at it. Bad teachers are unprepared, lack passion, and keep their distance from their students. But good teachers? They are up-to-date on the hottest topics and resources in their fields, they make the effort to help a single student despite the fact they have dozens to tend to, they make the lessons specific to the needs of their students that year, and they show their students they care about them as people by asking them about outside activities, writing encouraging emails, and incorporating their interests into the class.

3. Good teachers deserve to be paid better. Michelle Wie knows what she is talking about: good teachers should be paid like the professionals they are. I don't need or even want a lot of money, but it is disheartening sometimes when I realize that my salary continues to dramatically lag behind that of my peers.

4. Stress in high schools is very real. Our students are way overcommitted. But I think the stress is overrated. Some stress is good stress. And like we all do sometimes, we get super stressed out and break down and complain about it...and then it subsides and life seems fun again. High school students are old enough to deal with this. Yes, we need to try to take steps to not overwhelm them unnecessarily, but when they sign up for 5 AP courses and 3 leadership positions and 2 community service commitments, they are going to be stressed. Do they need all of this to get into the "best" college? I am not so sure.

5. Parents and families play huge roles in the educations of their children. I am heartbroken when I learn the stories of my advisees each year; more often than not, they are dealing with serious issues in their families that weigh on them considerably. Conversely, those students who have dinner with their families most nights and have relatively positive relationships with their parents often experience great success at school. I know all families look different, and I am not trying to advocate for certain forms, but I notice a difference between the students who at least feel like they have a family and those who feel pretty independent from one. Teenagers might push their parents away, but I think most desperately need to know that their parents love and support them no matter what.

6. Everyone should go see "Waiting for Superman." Powerful.

Okay, that's enough for tonight.

3 comments:

Ellen said...

Sara- How very lucky your students are to have such an intelligent, caring and thoughtful teacher who advocates on their behalf. As one who has taught in all levels of education( pre-k to adult ed) as well as all socioeconomic levels-( inner -city to very affluent, private education), I believe that I can say with some authority that parental involvement is the absolute key to a child's educational success. Of course there are exceptions, but the more involved the parent, the higher the probability of a successful outcome- ( see your # 1!) Sadly , in today's fast-paced, driven society, too many parents leave this important task to others. Hopefully this will someday improve. I agree with all you have said and have hope that education will someday be as valued and rewarded as so many non-educational things in our society seem to be. I shall step off my soapbox and just say thank you to you and Clay and all the amazingly dedicated young teachers out there!

Liz said...

Great to read your thoughts. Agnes Irwin just screened The Race to Nowhere for the faculty. If you haven't heard about it, it is very worth investigating! It is a new documentary about stress and the achievement culture in schools. Let's connect about Christmas!

K.D. said...

1. You are not only a great teacher but an amazing person. While I was never got to have you in the classroom, I was lucky enough to live next door to you and was privy to all of your amazing qualities you offer your students outside of the classroom. 2. I agree that high school students and children in general need to know that they are loved and supported by their families. But to play devils advocate and being a product of a tiny boarding school, I feel that a strong school community can play a very big part in a students life. Nothing you don't already know....but food for thought from a 5 year (!!!!!!!) post high school student!