Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Our baby turns 5 months...

Every day at 2:36, the bell rings and I fly out of my classroom. If students or colleagues need to talk to me, they have to walk me to my car. I love my job, but I have a standing date with my little man starting at 3 every day, and you better believe I am not going to be late.

It's his smile that first gets me. I walk in the door and he hears my voice, turns to look at me, and slowly his sweet grin spreads across his soft cheeks. He kicks, he waves his arms, and his eyes glow. And I melt. Every day I melt. And I scoop him up in my arms and don't let him go for five more hours. He is my love, and he has made everything in my life richer and deeper and happier and better.

We come home, and for the first time that day, I really breathe. I slow down and focus on him: his eyes, his little hands, his smile, his smell, his sweet head nuzzling in my neck, his cooing sounds. We cuddle and we play, we take Camden for long walks around campus, and if we are lucky, we take a short nap with Daddy. And without fail, Clay and I look at each other at some point and say, "We are so lucky. Our life is so good." And it was so good before Will. But now...now, our lives are full of this love we can't contain.

Our baby is 5 months old today. He continues to grow into his loving, happy, fun personality. He is our buddy in everything. He makes us laugh, he makes us better people, he makes every day special. He is the gift I receive every day when I come home from school. He is my heart living outside my chest. He is already our best friend.

And I get to be his mama.

I know there are many children out there, many mamas, many families. And I hope they all feel exactly the way I do. Because when I look at Will, when I hold Will, when I rock Will to sleep and we smile at each other and the world is quiet and good, there is no doubt in my mind:

I AM THE LUCKIEST.
William Bradley with his namesake.
Thank you, Mom and Dad, for visiting us this past weekend. We love you.
Happy 5 months, buddy.
You are the greatest gift I will ever know.

2 comments:

Liz said...

Happy 5 months Will! Seriously, I cannot wait to meet him at Christmas. Miss you friend!

Heloise said...

Will must be one of the happiest babies I've ever seen...and with two spectacular parents,too. Keep enjoying your family, Sara!