Thursday, January 26, 2012

Ramdom Thursday Thoughts

1. Clay, Will, and I went to a GPS alumni cocktail party tonight at an uber-nice apartment on W. 81st. Clay had to leave to go tutor (because he is awesome and works hard for us) and Will was super adorable and charming all the ladies...until Mr. Tucker, the headmaster, introduced me. Will decided that was THE moment to run through the crowd of alums and a-l-m-o-s-t knock over a super fancy table and piece of art, all while everyone had just turned to look at me and thus notice how my son was treating this lovely woman's living room like, uh, ours, which actually IS his playroom. I have had many moments this year when I feel like I see or feel things so clearly, and this was one of them: I love GPS, but Will is my life. I opened my arms to him in front of all these women, scooped his smiling self up, and slipped out of the party and back onto the rainy streets of NYC.

2. Went to a 90 minute "My mini school" with Will this morning. The instructor sang "The Itsy-Bitsy Spider" in Mandarin. I had trouble even doing the hand motions.

3. Discovered that the $1.99 Wheat Crisps at Trader Joe's taste EXACTLY like Wheat Thins. This has changed my life. I bought five boxes last night on my way home from tutoring. God Bless Trader Joe's.

4. We've had at least one job phone interview every day this week. We are encouraged.

5. Upon our placement counselors' requests, Clay and I made video statements of ourselves this afternoon while Will was sleeping. If you ever want to see us look incredibly awkward, ask to see these videos (we won't show them to you).

6. Will usually loves yogurt. Today was not one of those days. Today he threw the entire quart of yogurt across the room. Our T.V. now smells like yogurt.

7. I am currently reading Colum McCann's Let the Great World Spin and I can't put it down. Except when I put it down.

8. I miss a lot of things (like actual physical object things) that are tucked away in storage for the year, but I weirdly find myself really missing my muffin pan. I think weelicious.com may have a lot to do with it. For the record, I also miss our mattress, bathtubs, Bread Basket's whole wheat sourdough bread, my ob/gyn and Will's pediatrician (is that too much information?), a backyard where Cam can run and play, pictures in actual frames, and driving a car right up to our destination.

9. Will's first and thus favorite words right now are "choo-choo," "dog," and "heyyyyyyyy." He greets us with "heyyyyyyy" pretty much every morning. We eat it up. We are trying to not take it personally that he has a name for Cam before he has names for us.

10. Public libraries might just be THE best things ever. Here is a cute pic from our recent story time jaunt there this week:

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

i know I am SOOO terrible at keeping in touch but do know that I keep up with your blog and love "catching up" on what's going on with your family! Will is adorable. Harper would have so much fun with him at this stage...we really are going to miss our walks as the weather warms up (although at that point, I'm going to be massively preg so even if you were here I'd prob only be able to join for like 10 min on the hills around here ha!)

Tracie Durham said...

Sara, I have not been good about commenting, but I look at your blog regularly. I am sure that the women at the cocktail party tonight were fine with Will being a kid. If not, oh well. Love keeping up, even if it is virtually. Can't wait to hear about the next chapter of your life. Miss you so much! Tracie

Heloise said...

I was thinking about your mom tonight, Sara, and in turn, thought about you and realized how long it had been since I checked in on your blog. What a pleasure it is to "hear" the thoughts of such a talented, brilliant, and appreciative young woman. Best wishes in your and Clay's job search--you'll both go far!